Good Morning Buenos Aires

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Beginnings


I wrote this about two weeks after I arrived in the BA. Since I wrote it I have been so busy with class and traveling.


****

Location:

City, Buenos Aires, Argentina < groceries, pharmacies, kioscos (a mini store with candy, drinks, and snacks), a locutorio (phone and internet place), laundry place (where they wash, dry and fold your clothes FOR YOU), a bank, a gym, and if that's not enough, there's more...and when you want some variety, walk another block and you get the same thing.

My apartment is nice. I have my own room, nice closet, full mirror, desk, and shelves.…I will post pictures later.

People:

My homestay is with an older couple. My mom is a widow and then remarried within the last 5 years I think. She's a psychologist who works out of her house, there's patients in and out. She has two kids, both grown and out of the house. Her husband I believe is an electronics or computer guy. He's cool too, but not at the apartment as much.

Food:

Cafes everywhere. And things are pretty cheap here. Exchange is 3:1 here so I get 3 pesos for each dollar. Every cafe has the same menu it seems as well. Its hard to explain the food, but is awesome. Maybe in another episode I will go over it. I am drinking a cafe con crema and eating a medialuna (croissant, argentina style) in the cafe I am at right now. But an interesting thing about meals is they have dinner around 9 or 10 here. Takes some getting used to but its kind of cool now.

Locutorios (I just took this passage from an old email I wrote):

"So last night I tried to write this email. Well I did write the email, twice. First time some shield closed my window half way through, second time I sent it but it had an error on the page. Ridiculous. I was so pissed.
*Dude, pass me a cigarette...*puff inhale puff puff exhale*...thanks man.)
The only drawback is you can smoke anywhere here, and people love to smoke and surf the net at the same time. So I can't stay in them too long. Everyone here smokes, even in the airport. Its ridiculous. Don't worry I haven't yet, but I have propably smoked the equivalent of a pack from second hand smoke alone. I miss the laws in Maine."

Fashion:

So I will start off with I just bought a pair of high top converse all stars so I could fit-in in Buenos Aires. And it's the end of winter so all the shoes are on sale. Oh, and leather is a specialty here. I'd say I picked the right study abroad country. I am going to buy some tapered "skinny" jeans and some boots this weekend.


Right now I just got back from seeing Dai and her fam. We went for ice cream. The other night we all went to dinner too. I am hoping that Dai and I can go out to the bars and the boliches (clubs) this weekend. I hear they are a blast here, but aren't open until 2 and last until like 6 or 7. They are crazy here. Tomorrow I get to find out which classes I take so I am excited. I think its going to be an art class, a tango class, and an Argentinean environment class. Bueno.

This picture is me in front of the Casa Rosada.

1 Comments:

At 3:39 PM, Blogger Jill said...

You are lucky! That looks like a fun adventure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home